Induction. Edmond Domboski of Pennsalt Chemicals checks an inductively heated reactor in the high-temperature laboratory. The device, seen in the foreground, is used in studying gaseous reactions at 1000° to 2000 °C. The copper coil surrounding the glass container receives radio-frequency energy, which is transferred to the graphite tube in the center of the vessel. This system eliminates the need for internal electrical connections and reduces some problems associated with experiments carried out under vacuum or in controlled atmospheres.
Chemical & Engineering News, January 17, 1966